Tuesday, 24 May 2011

Welcome, Site Info, Schedule and Trailer

Hello, everybody and welcome to the site of me, That Geeky Gamer!

This is the site of my show that will be about video games, films and all things related to those things.  Now, I know that there already are plenty of other people and shows around the web that deal with the same subjects, but I don't think that means that I'm not allowed to try as well.  Besides, I don't intend to be exactly like anyone else, even though it's probably inevitable that there will be some similarities.

So, before we do anything else, I thought it would be a good idea to go over a few things with you all that might answer a few question you might have from the start.  First of all, when it comes to the quality of the videos, they might not always be top notch.  You see, I don't exactly have the best equipment available.  I will, of course, try to make the videos look and sound as good as possible, but please bear in mind that my current equipment is not ideal.  The areas where this will probably be most notable, at least in the first few episodes, will be in the live-action or "talking head" bits where I just use a fairly standard webcam and possibly in the voice-overs, where I have a few different options available, so I might try a few different things.  The gameplay/film footage should for the most part be fairly okay, usually depending on what format it's from.  Hopefully, all of the episodes will at least be viewable, they just might not be of the best quality.

Secondly, when it comes to scheduling, I will usually post a schedule of about three months or twelve weeks worth of videos at a time.  I will post the videos on Tuesdays, before midnight at the latest, however take into account that I live in Norway and therefore go by the Norwegian time zone, so depending on where you live, the videos might not be available until the next day or it may be available the day before.  For the first schedule, see the bottom of this post.

Thirdly, seeing as how I am Norwegian, my English might not always be perfect.  I am fairly confident in my English-speaking abilities, but I'm fully aware that there might be certain words or phrases that I have some problems pronouncing correctly.  At times, I might also have some problems with certain names and such, especially if I haven't heard them out loud before.  Hopefully, you should be able to understand me most of the time, but occasionally, there might be a few issues with my speech.  Apologies in advance.

Also, I am very open to any and all feedback from all of you.  Do you have an idea for a new feature on the show?  Do you want to request a film or game for me to review? Maybe there's a feature I'm doing that you think I should stop doing?  Whatever you may want to tell me, feel free to do so either in comment form, on my Facebook page (link in sidebar) or in an e-mail using the e-mail link in the right sidebar.

Now, something else you'll probably notice is that I will use blip.tv to host my videos.  There are several reasons why I have chosen to use blip, one of them being that I can earn revenues from my videos more easily.  Of course, this means that there will, usually, be ads on the videos.  I know that this can be somewhat annoying to some people, but I ask that you please bear with it as it shouldn't be to intrusive.  If you do feel that they do end up being in the way, feel free to let me know and I'll consider finding another hosting service. If you know of one that you think would be better to use, again, feel free to tell me.  I do also have a YouTube channel that I will use, but, at least for now, I intend to use that only to post my game reviews (they will be posted a week after the blip version), as well as trailers for upcoming episodes.  For everything else, like film reviews, top 10s, let's plays and whatever else, I will be using blip and I will only post the videos on this site.

Finally, I'd also like to address the contribution options you all have available.  First of all, none of this is mandatory, this is only for those of you who REALLY like the show and might want to help out a little bit more, if there actually are anyone like that among you.  The most important contribution you can make to this show is simply to watch the episodes.  As I stated before, this will give me revenues, so by simply watching the episodes, you're already contributing to the show.  However, if, for whatever reason, you'd like to help out even more, the next step would be the ads you see posted around the site.  If you feel up to it, you can click on some of them as this gives me even more revenues.  Again, this is not necessary, but if you feel like it, I definitely won't stop you.  Also, you may have noticed the donate button at the top of the page.  This button is strictly for those of you who might have an uncontrollable urge to help out even more than you already have by watching the show and clicking the ads.  If you feel that none of that is enough and you would like to donate whatever amount it might be, just click this button and you can donate via PayPal.  I will try to find some way to thank anyone who does donate anything as this will be extremely appreciated.

Other than that, I would also like to mention that if you have a game, film or whatever else you would like to donate to the show, please send me an e-mail detailing what the object in question is and we'll talk. I would be more than happy to accept any such donations, but it will depend on what the donation is.  If it's something that I already own, or if the donation seems to extravagant or whatever, then it's less likely that I would accept it.  Not impossible, but less likely.  At any rate, if you have anything you would like to donate, get in touch.  I will try to feature any and all such donations on the show if possible.

Okay, so with that really long post out of the way, I will leave you with the first schedule for the show as well as the trailer for the first episode that will be released on Tuesday, 31. May 2011.  I hope you look forward to the show and I hope you check back every week for new episodes.  Thank you all in advance for all your views, comments and other contributions!

SCHEDULE May 2011 - August 2011

31. May - Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES) Review
7. June - Super Mario Bros. (Film) Review
14. June - Tekken (Playstation) Review
21. June - What's Wrong With a Controller? (Rant)
28. June - Top 10 Video Game Developers of All Time
5. July - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within Review
12. July - Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Sega Master System) Review
19. July - MMO's and Subscription Fees (Rant)
26. July - DOUBLE FEATURE - Let's Play The Longest Journey (PC) Part 1 & 2
2. August - Spider-Man (2002 Film) Review
9. August - Batman: Arkham Asylum (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360) Review
16. August - Trophies and Achievements (Rant)

THAT GEEKY GAMER TRAILER

1 comment: