Friday, 2 September 2011

Quick Update Regarding Screwattack

I have just seen Screwattack.com's announcement video regarding their upcoming update of their site. While I think the new site looks to be pretty damn cool, there is at least one HUGE problem with it.

You see Screwattack will remove the ability for community members to upload videos. This, of course, means that I won't be able to post my game reviews on Screwattack any more. As I understand it, I will be able to post links and/or embedded videos on the site, but I can not simply upload my reviews as I have done so far. Whether or not this makes much of a difference, I don't know, but I do think it's a shame. I will of course post my videos on my site and also on YouTube, but as of sometime next week, I will not be posting videos on Screwattack.com any more. I do apologise, but then again, it's not really my fault, is it?

Don't get me wrong! I love Screwattack and I do think the new site looks great, but I do have to agree, at least to a certain extent, with another so-called G1 on Screwattack who commented that he thought Screwattack was supposed to be a COMMUNITY site yet the creators seem to be going for more of a gaming-news type of site with the new design. In fact, the ability to upload videos is just one part of the community features they have removed from their site. They actually mentioned that they're trying to compete with sites like IGN in their video. They did it slightly jokingly, but I still don't think there is much question that Screwattack has definitely redefined themselves as something other than a community site. Again, I don't really have a problem with this, I mean, if that's what the Screwattack guys wants to do, then by all means, do so, but it does feel like a bit of a slap in the face. Seriously these guys and the site have always been all about the community and what they can do to help the community promote themselves etc., but with this new update, the focus has definitely shifted and it's now all about them. There's nothing wrong with that, but at least stop pretending that this will be a great community site, because from what I see, that simply isn't true. Hey, they might suprise me, but based on what I've seen, Screwattack will now be a great site, but not a great COMMUNITY site.

In any case, no videos on Screwattack.com any more, but they will still be posted here on the site and also on my YouTube channel. I hope that will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment