Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Regarding the Next Videos aka FUCKING YOUTUBE!!!

Okay, so I just wanted to fill everybody in on why there haven't been any new videos in a while. Maybe this isn't strictly necessary, but I still wanted to explain the situation, especially since there might still be a little while until the videos are actually released.

You see, I had originally planned on releasing on or two more videos before the new year begun, but both because of the holidays themselves and the whole festive mood they put me in (i.e. how lazy they made me) and the fact that I kind of changed my mind as to what the next videos were going to be, I decided to wait until after the new year had begun. However, as I would have a month or so without any new videos, I decided that this would be a good time to try and get my review of the Garfield film up on YouTube, which would involve going through the whole dispute process which could and most likely would take about a month. In any case, I decided to give it a try and as the new year approached, things were actually looking pretty good, but then all hell broke loose!

Well, I say hell, but in actuality it was a mix of YouTube and their already legendarily retarded content ID/copyright protection system and my own fucking incompetence and stupidity! The thing is that I had uploaded the Garfield review and put it through the dispute process which actually did work! The content ID claim that originally was placed on it got lifted and it was available to watch. A few people may actually remember seeing it up on my channel and this site for a few short minutes, but there was a bit of a problem. It didn't have any fucking audio!

That's right! For some reason, all the audio for the video was missing, which didn't make any sense to me. You see, while the audio had been hit with a content ID claim it was, as I already said, released and ready to go. To add further confusion to the mix, the audio was actually available when I went into the audio section of the editing menu of YouTube, but was nowhere to be heard when watching the video itself. At this point I probably should have just waited for a day or two and/or contacted YouTube to see if this issue could be cleared up, but being the all-around idiot that I am, I thought I could fix it myself.

The thing is that the audio editing section of YouTube did allow me to "save" the video with the audio as it played it in the preview window. Basically, it looked to me like there might have been some sort of problem with the audio not having been rendered properly after the copyright claim had been lifted, so I thought that "saving" the audio that played in the audio section might make it audible in the actual video, so I decided to give it a try. I hit save and got told that the video was now "editing" and to check back in a little bit. When I did so, things had not gone well. Not only was there still no audio when playing the video normally, but the audio was now also gone from the editing section!

At this point, the only option I had left, at least as far as I could see, was to delete the video and go through the whole process yet again. I guess I could've just waited until a later time to do this so that I could get some new videos up first, but I really wanted to get this video up and I felt like this was as good a time as any. As expected though, the video did get hit with another content ID claim when I re-uploaded it and it has now been in the "awaiting response" part of the dispute process for close to a month, so it'll probably be released when the deadline for it is up.

So, that's pretty much what has prevented me from uploading any new videos. You might not quite understand why, even with all this YouTube copyright bullshit that I've tried to explain, but the thing is that while the video in question is going through the dispute process, I lose several of YouTube's functionalities, chief among which is the ability to upload videos longer than 15 minutes. Okay, so I could and usually do try to make my videos as short as possible, but it can get really tricky to get them under 15 minutes. In any case, the aded restriction definitely isn't helping.

All things considered, this isn't the end of the world or anything, but it will unfortunately cause a bit of an extra wait. I really hope, like so many others, that YouTube's current copyright protection system gets a massive overhaul in the near future, but I'm not all that hopeful. Don't get me wrong, I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, one of the worst affected ones, but even I sometimes run into some serious problem because of it, as I hopefully demonstrated with this post. I don't have any plans to change my main distribution service as of now, but in all honesty, if I'm ever lucky enough to get enough regular viewers to start to make a living off of this show, I'm more than likely going to switch over to blip.tv or something, at least as long as things stay like this.

For now though, you can expect the new videos to be coming out sometime between January 31st and February 8th. The reason for the week-long release window is that I actually have a a few more videos in a dispute process as well, but unless I'm misremembering, I don't think any of them effect the video time-limit so I should be able to upload the videos, regardless of length, around the 31st of January. I actually do have one video ready to go already and I'm expecting to have at least one or two more before this whole situation is resolved, so at the very least, you can look forward to getting more videos at once when I finally do start releasing them. I hope the wait doesn't effect the "relevance" of the videos to much, but possibly apart from the one I already have finished, I don't think that should really be an issue anyway.

Well, I hope I have managed to explain the situation a bit for those who might have been wondering and I apologise if this turned out to be a bit longer and more boring than I intended. I'm really hoping to get a lot more videos out this year than previously and I'm going to try my best to make them as good and entertaining as possible. Thank you for reading and I'll hopefully see you when the new videos get released!

No comments:

Post a Comment